Situation plan of the capital and residence city of Berlin and its surroundings, adapted by Liebenow (section), 1888
Bezirksamt Tempelhof-Schöneberg, Fachbereich Vermessung und Geoinformation
Sedanstrasse with view of Schöneberg railway station, around 1910
Photo Jantsch, Archiv zur Geschichte von Tempelhof und Schöneberg
The first new street
The landowner and land developer Wilhelm Ferdinand Lenz purchased a lengthy strip of agrarian land east of the railway line in 1870. He had a new road built in the middle of the fields: Sedanstrasse, now Leberstrasse. Its alignment from north to south determined the later street planning on the Schöneberger Insel. In the following years private land developers and soil associations bought up further land from Schöneberg farmers and had, for the most part, tenements built. By 1905 the settlement of the Insel was largely complete.
Today hardly anything is left of the cottages and three- or four-storey tenements, which usually has stables and commercial premises in the back.