Design for an illuminated sign for Dapolin petrol at the premises of the company Schöneberger Garagen at former Königsweg 37d, June 1927
Bauakte Naumannstraße 33 V. alt (1926-27), Blatt 3
Damage map Schöneberg, October 1947. The black-coloured buildings remained largely intact, while the hatched buildings were partially or completely destroyed.
Bezirksamt Tempelhof-Schöneberg, Fachbereich Vermessung und Geoinformation
Naumannstrasse industrial area
The commercial use of the former military training grounds at Königsweg – the name of present-day Naumannstrasse until 1929 – began when the railway troops had to be disbanded after the First World War.
At the beginning of the 1920s individual plots of land were leased to commercial businesses. In 1920 Otto Speck was one of the first to rent such a parcel of land, at Königsweg 31, to build a site for a fleet of vehicles. Further businesses gradually settled there, primarily in the motor vehicle branch and metalworking trade. At first there were blocks of garages, car repair shops and petrol stations, scrap iron and metal dealers and, especially in the southern section, storage places for lumber and coal.
Transformation of the industrial area
During the Second World War the industrial area at Naumannstrasse was damaged in aerial attacks. However, most of the buildings remained intact and they continued to be used commercially after 1945.
The spectrum ranged from medical practices to a shoe factory, from a car dealer to a major freight shipping company. Many of the firms rented storage space, for rent was cheap.
In 2013 an investor bought the area that was offered for sale by the Institute for Federal Real Estate. Contracts with long-established tenants such as the Kanitz shipping company and several car repair workshops were cancelled. Now the premises operate under the name “Naumannpark” as a location for creative industries.